From:
Julie LeDuc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 21:45:01 +0000
Dooks to all...
I'm posting this question to the list, because other people may have this
question, or it may come up in a later discussion.

I stated before that I just adopted a sweet 5 year old post adrenalectomy
on the left and cryo-adrenalectomy on the right.  She has finished her
steroid therapy with the appropriate tapers.  I do have extensive medical
background in human medicine, so I can understand medical speak.  I am
curious if I should worry about post-steroidal rebound, and if so, are the
symptoms the same/similar in ferrets as they are in humans.  I suppose
the only real symptom that would be easily detectable in a ferret would
be extended lethargy, and a failure to thrive manifestation.  Is there
anything else I should watch for.  She tires easily, and sleeps most of the
time.  She doesn't tend to "run around" and play.  Although, she roams
about the house, to explore and does interact some with the other ferrets;
she doesn't tend to go beyond that.  I suppose that recovery from such a
major surgery hits a ferret systemically just as hard as it does in humans
(having just had major surgery myself, I am totally sympathetic).  I'm
rambling.  The point is: What should I look for in post steroidal rebound
in bilateral adrenal ferrets.  Thanks!!

Happy Valentines day!  Get kisses from dem fuzz butts!!!

--Julie