From:
Julie LeDuc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:40:20 +0000
>You're absolutely right - lethargy is the major symptom of an
>adrenal-insufficient ferret, and it can be difficult to determine whether
>it is du to the recent surgery or to a lack of mineralocorticoid hormones.
>However, we see it far less in ferrets than in humans, and probably in
>less than 50% of ferrets.  We rarely do accurate bilateral adrenalectomies
>in ferrets due to the positioning of the adrenal glands - so we don't see
>Addison's disease in all of the cases.  If you think that you are dealing
>with adrenal insufficiency, then let's get a blood test to check the
>levels of electrolytes, which become deranged in the absence of
>mineralocorticoids.  It is often an instinctive thing on the part of the
>owner, who knows that the ferret isn't making good progress after surgery.
>Bruce Williams, dVM

Thanks for the info Dr. Williams!  Actually, she is doing better now.  She
has perked up considerably.  She has started to be awake more, and she's
more active around the house.  Although she does poop out quickly, she does
interact and play more readily.  She has a penchant for stealing wrappers
and nipping the other ferrets to keep them in line!  ;) It seems that she
is starting to grow some hair back on her tail too!  The next task is to
watch to make sure her vulva go down (they are quite swollen still) and
her overwhelming odor decreases (I'm not sure if that's going to happen or
not.  I am going to hold off on blood tests for the moment.  I am going to
make a follow up with the vet who took care of her adrenal surgeries at the
beginning of March, just for a check up.  I think, though, she is starting
to make good progress.

Thank you again for your kind reply and gracious help.  You've no idea as
to how much help you are to all the ferret owners, and how much at ease
you make us feel with your honest replies.

--Julie