From:
bronxelf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 02:37:23 -0500
Sorry all, I tried to combine it all in one post, but it went over the
limit.  I'll try two.  [Moderator's note: Posts combined. BIG]

>From:    MC <[log in to unmask]>
>Doesn't sound to me like the MF kit was the carrier.  I would bet that
>ECE was present in the cage the kits were kept and when the new load of
>kits came in, they got it.

I would agree with you..*But* All the store *sells* is MF kits.  There were
no kits in the cage prior to the new batch, and I bought the first kit sold
from the new batch, one hour after the batch of kits arrived.

   -----
>From:    "E.M. Ennis" <[log in to unmask]>
>I realize that the kit in question was a MF kit, but I still don't see how
>you're immediately jumping to the conclusion that s/he was infected at MF
>*or* knowing shipped with ECE as you suggest.

Ok, I'll explain.  This is the scenario.  The pet store gets kits every
Thursday.  They are all usually sold by Saturday(according to store staff).

The week before I bought the kit I came in on Sunday, and all the kits were
already gone.  They told me the new shipment came on Thursday afternoon.
There were no kits in the cage from Saturday to Thursday.

On Thursday, I came in, and the kits had indeed arrived, one hour before I
arrived.  I got the very first kit they sold out of the batch.

>* Are the other kits at the store infected?

I don't know.  And I really would *like* to know.  But I am running up
against three things.

1. What petco knows about ferrets could fit in a thimble.  They wouldn't
know ECE if it came up and bit them on the behind.

2. I seriously doubt they are calling all the people that bought kits to
ask.  I *did* tell them that in good concience, they needed to do that, but
I don't think they are.

3. The signs of ECE are often masked in kits, and they get over it quickly.
It also has an incubation period of 2-4 days, so the kits (like mine) may
not show any signs until after they are taken from the store.

>* What's the distribution route from MF to the pet store?

A good question.  I don't know.  I *do* know that this particular pet store
is the last shop on the run.  Which means that the ferret handlers could
have picked up ECE at any of the previous stops.  Which means that there is
a possiblity that this is being taken back *TO* MF, rather than coming
*FROM* MF.  Either way, someone at MF needs to take a look at this.

>* Are they transported with other animals during transit?

No.  The delivery is from MF specifically, and is slated for Petco stores
only.  Unless MF has suddenly started selling fish and reptiles, I don't
think so.

>* Are MF kits showing up at other pet stores aross the country with ECE
>  (or a similar green-poop-causing affliction) as diagnosed by a reputable
>  ferret vet?

As you already probably know Erin, a couple of people on alt.pets.ferrets
have pooped up to report similar experiences.  But I agree that that is a
poor sampling of both petshops and ferret owners nationwide.  However,
people *are* saying "Yep.  This happened to me too."

In which, the elf moves on to answer Bill and Diane Killian.

>From:    zen and the art of ferrets - bill and diane <[log in to unmask]>
>No.  You have evidence that a kit from MF might have brought ECE into your
>house but you have zero evidence that MF is the least bit culpable.  You
>might just as well have brought it home by bringing Kender to the store.

Except I *didn't* bring Kender to the store.  So that analogy is a bit
meaningless.

>The fact that the kit and Kender got the disease nearly simultanously makes
>it sounds more like the store than MF.  If it was MF the kit should have
>shown symptoms MUCH sooner right?

Not necessarily.  For two reasons:

1. ECE's 2-4 day incubation window.  The kit could have been incubating it
for up to 4 days.  Meaning Tuesday.  Just because Niko got it after x days
does not mean that Kender has to get it in the same amount of days.

2. Even if the kit got it on the transport from MF to the petco store, MF
is still responsible for that transport.

>It really sounds like the kit was infected at the same time as Kender.

How?  Kender and Justin never left the house.  I had contact with no other
ferrets save my own and the kits at the store.  All of which came in in the
*same* batch, at the *same* time.

>If Marshall settles to you for anything at all it is because a settlement
>is cheaper than a lawyer and an attempt to foster goodwill.  There are too
>many people trying to find someone else to blame for all of their problems.
>Disease is out there.

I think that in all this, I am being a bit misunderstood on one point.  I am
not asking MF for anything.  As far as I can tell, that is *PETCO*'s beef.
They, after all, are receiving kits from MF, and if there is a problem, they
need to work it out.  I would like it if MF would check into their transport
system.  To ask their customers if they are having any problems, and at the
*VERY* least, to send out some info to the pet stores regarding ECE and what
to look for.

I am looking to get Kender's vet bills covered by *Petco*.  They are the
ones that sold me the kit.  I *can* prove that the infected kit came from
their store.

In case anyone cares, Kender is now down to 1.8 lbs.  I had him back at the
vet yesterday.

hopefully this will clear all these things up.

elf.
bronxelf
Dominatrix at Arms and Guild Hall Lieutenant of the Renaissance Mercenaries
Guild.
A.F.R.  Goddess of Steel
http://www.i-2000.com/corwin/axi
"To err is human, to forgive is not our policy."    --Anonymous
"I believe pregnancy is a Sexually Transmitted Disease"- Me.

"I got more cream than a Twinkie or a Zinger"-"Humdinger", Chucklehead

The creativity of an elf knows no bounds.