From:
Darrin Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:41:10 +1000
>He was saying, basically, don't reinforce 'bad' behavior.  While, I
>agree with that for the most part, my concern is that the ferret may be
>saying "I'm not getting enough Out of Cage Playtime"!!!  He may have
>energy to burn and maybe he is saying he's not being exercised or played
>with enough.

Andrea you are dead on but I just wanted to clarify what Darrin said
about ignoring the ferret when it is biting the cage.  Yes it is all
about positive reinforcement.  What he should have added is that you only
pretend to ignore the ferret until they settle down, that means no eye
contact, no stern parental warnings and no giving them exactly what want.
After about a minute of them not biting the cage then let them out with a
big cuddle and lots of kisses and lots of fun.  Also remember their room
mates, if they are not taking part in the spectacle then get them out for
play time and cuddles, don't let them suffer for their buddy's behavior
otherwise they may learn to join in on future sessions (after all it is
fun to make a mess).  Our little cherubs have learnt that if they yawn
and stretch and stare at you with big sad eyes and sigh and generally
look like the cutest ferret you have ever seen they get far more lovin'.
We have had a few cage biters with a couple of those that would throw
complete tantrums including upending their pooper and playing air hockey
with their food bowls.  These guys are reformed and they can proudly say
that they have not committed an act of 'cage rage' for 180 days.

In case anyone is worried that we mistreat our ferrets and don't care if
they have clean food or sanitary living conditions particularly if we are
not home, don't be.  Remember our little fluffernutters can control us
far better than we ever realize.  It took a little while for the light
bulb to come on but the ONLY time that the tanties happened was when we
were able to witness the awesome destructive power of.....da da da da
t'da 'Super Cranky Spoiled Ferret'.  That being said you should always
ensure that they have a reliable source of clean water such as a water
bottle that is secured on the outside of the cage as well as their water
bowl.

Our ferrets are only confined to their cages when we are sleeping, not
at home or doing something potentially dangerous to these inquisitive
guys.  That being said we have found that if we need to spend more than
the usual time away from home for a particular day and we need to do
something without ferret assistance before releasing the hoards then we
first go and say hello and let them know we will be back as soon as we
finish what needs to be done and give them a treat so that they know they
are not being ignored or punished.

Cheers
Melissa (and Darrin)