From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 19:36:32 -0800
Patti, My Bashful was a rescue from a bad breeder, and has had cataracts
for quite a long time.  He is now 12 and rather slow but happy and he does
the same thing; bumping into walls and such, but ferrets don't see well to
begin with.  You can make life more interesting for him by dropping treats
in front of him so he can 'find' something and think he's still very
clever.  Tubes are really fun for these guys and lots of snuggly blankies
to hide stolen goodies in.  Before you pick him up, make sure to make a
small noise to keep from startling him.  No need to worry.  Just take a
little extra care and he'll be as happy as ever.

Symphy, Just keep working at it patiently.  Bash was a biter as well, each
person in contact with him took turns being the only one to care for him
until he got the idea that biting was a bad thing and he only got put in
'time out' for a couple of minutes while the others played (forever to a
fert) then got a good cuddle and a treat afterwards.  He will eventually
stop with time and love.  Don't give up!

Those of you here in CA wanting fuzzies; there is a good way to adopt here -
lets get out there and BACK the organizations fighting for legalization!
No one else is going to fight as hard as we are.  I brought mine with me
because they are so old; now I'm fighting to hide two while the others
are fighting for their lives being snuck in and out of compasionate vets'
offices.  This is what you are looking at without legalization.  I don't
regret what I did for a moment, but how much better it would be for them if
I could openly seek the best care possible instead of relying on the mercy
of those precious and dear few vets willing to treat them in private!  (you
guys are worth your weight in gold, by the way - please don't take offense)

Let's put our differences behind us folks.  We need the intelligence and
tolerance our ferrets were born with.  Life's too short - especially for
them, to bicker.

The hidden 4some's Mom

Big; thanks again for the advice!