From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 18:32:16 -0800
Hello Fellow Ferret Lovers:

This is my first post to the FML - which is a fantastic resource for our
little friends - thanks to all who make this service available.

Since the dreaded flea season is approaching and there have been posts
asking about various flea remedies, I thought that I would tell you what I
have found to work exceptionally well for our two ferrets Mudfoot and Ollie.

We use a product by the Bayer Corporation called Advantage.  Advantage is a
once-a-month topical flea treatment for cats and dogs available only through
veterinarians, (Probably animal supply houses as well) and no prescription
is required.

It is available for cats in two sizes:

   0.8 ml per dose/tube for cats over 9 lbs.  Cost about $32 for four
doses (four months).
   0.4 ml per dose/tube for cats under 9 lbs.  Cost about $29 for four
doses.

We use the larger dose (0.8 ml) and split it between our two guys - 0.8 ml
is about 20 drops, so about 10 drops per ferret.  Or you can do it by
alternately giving each ferret one drop at a time until the dose/tube is all
gone.  I place it on their skin between their shoulder blades.

We had been combing 4 to 6 fleas off of each of them daily, but after their
first dose we never found another flea on them - not a one.

I posted this anonymously because we live in California, so any replies will
have to be public.

One last thing, many people have been asking about where to buy "Totally
Ferret" and 20 foot long clear dryer tubing - I found them both at:

The Ferret Store from Northeast Exotic Pet Supply.
Online store at     http://www.neeps.com/

PS: While you are at the online store you can see a picture of our male
ferret Mudfoot.  Give him a vote.  He will be oh so happy with his prize.

John -
Lots of folks say ferrets are crazy.  To be sure, they don't seem to
care if they live or die, just so long as they're seeing something NEW.