From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Feb 1997 10:13:25 -0800
Hi guys.  First I want to say what a great resource it is to have all of you
available for imput.  Especially since I live in a FFZ, it is harder to go
about getting the info I need.  You at the FML have been a great help with a
number of problems that have come up, and having already read the advice
pertaining to the problem here, was prepared to handle them.  But, now I
have a complicated problem and need your advice.  Vet types please feel free
to comment.

In December I adopted a BEW sprite, approximately 3-4 years old.  She has
cateracts in both eyes and is deaf.  That's not the problem.

About three weeks after I adopted her she went into a classic hypoglycemic
coma ( which I roused her from with Karo syrup followed by turkey baby food)
My vet did a fasting blood sugar on her after 5 hours and got a glucose
level of 52.  {As a side note; I had noticed this ferret to drink and pee
twice what my other two did.} We decided to do surgery and the preop blood
work came back with a fasting glucose level of 44, but also high creatinine
and BUN, approx. three times their normal levels indicating a problem with
her kidneys.  We decided to go ahead with her surgery and my vet removed a
tumor approx 1 inch long by 1/3 inch wide, HUGE by insulinoma standards.
After a week her fasting glucose is still at 44 after a 5 hour fast.  My vet
says this indicates that though he didn't see any other tumors, and he
really searched, that insulinoma cells have probably moved into other organs
like the liver.  When he was inside he looked at Belle's kidneys and he says
they are malformed and pitted.  So here's the problem: Right now I have her
on a high protien diet of turkey baby food every four hours, but the high
protein puts a strain on Belle's kidneys so she is also getting subcutaneous
Lactated Ringers once a day, sort of a mini dialysis I'm told.  If anyone
out there has a recipe or advice to help with her hypoglycemia or her kidney
problem I would appreciate all the help I can get.  I hope BIG will let you
respond to the FML as I live in a rabid FFZ and have to post anonymously.

Belle is a sweetheart who loves to cuddle and hide socks and I want to do
everything I can to help her have a long happy life.

Thank you,
Leslie and Belle