From:
Jeffrey C Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 1994 08:47:32 -0500
Maybe I'm in a bad mood due to the weather, or I didn't sleep well, or
something, but one thing Dr. Brown mentions in issue #742 struck a
chord in me.

> 1.   Most of the other countries feed their ferrets whole meat diets, that is
> the whole carcass, uncooked (including  organ meats, bones) and egg products.
> Some of their household ferrets are getting some processed cat or dog food,
> but many are still supplemented with fresh, raw meat products.
> Question?  Is the diet that we feed really the best? Ferrets are, after all,
> strictly carnivores, with the only plant material they get is what would have
> been in the stomach of their prey.

Well, to that I say, is what we feed dogs and cats really best for them?
Dogs and cats are, after all, strictly carnivores, yes?  And can you
imagine how much *more difficult* it would be to get public acceptance
of ferrets if we had conversations like:

[Dogs are somewhat omnivorous]

"Oh, your ferret is so cute!  What do they eat?"
"Whole raw rabbit."
"Yuck!  He must be a wild animal!"

[Just point out that a cat will do the same if given half a chance.]

I realize you were just providing "food for thought", but to me it sounded
like perfect ammo for those who would have ferrets outlawed.

No flame intended.....

--
Jeff Jones                      [log in to unmask]             Go Mojos!
eon corporation, formerly TV Answer, Inc.               (703) 715-8958