From:
Karla VF Staudt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 06:25:13 -0500
Hi to all,

Our Daisy's insulinoma has progressed to the point where the vet says
that there is no additional medications or increases in dosages to treat
it.  He has recommended that we see that she eats regularly to keep her
blood sugar as even as possible and continue her medicines.  To keep her
protein uptake up as much as possible to help stabilize the blood sugar.
So far she is doing fairly well, but has daily episodes of pawing at the
mouth, zoning out, etc.  It takes longer now for her to come out of them.
I know it will continue to get worse and I have a few questions for those
of you that have "been there" with advanced insulinoma.

I know these episodes play havoc with her blood sugar and thus the
problems with nausea, back leg involvement, etc.  At what point (if
any) should I consider having her put down?  Or should we just treat her
with kindness and meds until she goes into a coma or passes on her own?
Obviously we want to keep her with us as long as possible.  Is this
painful or really uncomfortable with her?  I don't want her to suffer,
but I do love her dearly and don't want to give her up any sooner than I
have to.

I know these are really hard, personal questions - please feel free to
respond to me off post if you would rather.  I would really like some
honest opinions on how to help Daisy in the best way possible.

Thanks!
Karla