From:
petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 20:28:18 -0600
Well, we got some bad news about one of our ferrets today.  My baby Cognac
has apparently had distemper!  She had all her vaccinations, including the
one from the breeder, but apparently the vaccine is not 100%.  Her symptoms
are very mild: tiny seizures, trouble balancing, trouble walking on smooth
surfaces, and crusty pads.  Our vet says she could maintain like this for a
long time - I certainly hope so!  (She is only a year old.) She seems to
enjoy her life, even though she's not wardancing any more.  She gives lots
of kisses and always enjoys rearranging my husband's desk.  So now it is
just wait and see, and try to avoid anything which would stress her and/or
depress the immune system.  Sigh.  You do everything right, you think, and
then something like this happens.

In view of my earlier comment about her breeder, Debbie Scott, I would like
to emphatically state here that Cognac's distemper is NOT Debbie's fault.
It could have happened to any of our other ferrets.  Please send all good
thoughts in Cognac's direction, and if anyone has had a ferret with similar
problems, feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all of you for being there.

Sara and Kurt
Cognac, Toccata, Spice, Fog, Preen, Skotter, Danyel, Buddie and Jodeci