Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 00:47:23 EDT
Hello everyone,

This is the latest on AB 409.  It will not move this legislative session but
I'm sure it will raise it's ugly head next year.  Ferret folks, you need to
be very vigilant about the anti-ferret provisions in this bill.

Also, I've been asked to give a presentation on the ferret issue to the San
Francisco Animal Welfare Commission on August 13th at 5:30 P.M.  The meeting
is open to the public and I really encourage San Franciscan's to attend.
After all, this is something that affects you!

The Commission seems very open minded about this.

THe location is the police station at 24th and Taraval (it shouldn't have
to be said but I don't recommend that you bring any ferrets).

Jeanne
All,
Assemblyman Machado has agreed not to move his AB 409 this legislative
session.  Instead, the Senate Natural Resources Committee will hold an
informational hearing on jurisdiction over the regulation of animals after
the 1997-1998 Legislative Session ends on August 31.  The hearing will
take place at the capitol in Sacramento, some time in September or
October.  The Committee will set a date, time, and place well in advance
of the hearing.

Although AB 409 is now a "dead" bill, many of the issues that it raised
(who should determine what animals are prohibited in California, what
standards should be used when making regulatory decisions, and whether all
animals or simply wild animals should be regulated) will become the focus
of the informational hearing.  The hearing will, of course, be open to the
public.  It is quite possible that these issues will be addressed by
legislation in the 1999-2000 session.

Thank you,

Thad Kousser, Senate Natural Resources Committee