From:
Debbie Hunton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 11:53:52 -0800
My male MF ferret, Snuffy (approx 6 years old), has been showing signs
of adrenal problems for a while now. He has some intermittent hair
loss, and the "pear" shape. He is not, however, having any problems
urinating.

Then, in July this year he had an insulinomic seizure. An injection of
prednisone later, and he was like nothing had happened. He takes 1/8 of
a tablet (sorry, don't have the dosing here, email me for it if you'd
like more info) of prednisolone every evening. One day about 1 month
after the first seizure, he was unable/unwilling to get to the food
(new baby left a poopy along the route) and had another seizure, even
with the pred. No serious issues since then.

The vet felt that, due to the insulinoma and possible blood sugar
effects, he did not want to put Snuffy on melatonin to help the adrenal
symptoms, so that is currently untreated by any means.

The last week, Snuffy appears to be having some problems climbing the
tough ramps and "steps" in the cage (the easy ones are still no
problem). None of them are necessary for him to get to food or water,
but only for his favorite hammie. I don't want to move the hammie
because I believe that giving him motivation to push himself a little
is good for him.

My question is if there is anything I can do for him at this point.

My husband feels that the difficulties are more from stiffness than any
other affect of Snuffy's medical issues. The vet asked me in a phone
consult if the problems appeared to be from arthritis, muscle weakness,
low blood sugar, or were from indeterminate causes (he knows we know
our little ones).

This fuzzbutt is the pickiest eater I've ever seen - human or furred -
he eats his kibble (Sheppard & Greene mixed with Iams Kitten), snacks
of soft dog food kibble (I know, I know, but he started stealing them
from the dog, and they're mostly protein, and given only as a treat),
and a small raisin every evening for his prednisolone (followed by the
ferret kibble hand-fed as a treat to keep the blood sugar crash from
the raisin from affecting him). He literally will not touch anything
else - Bandits, ferretone, ferretvite, chicken baby food, even bad
things like cherrios or soda.

Any thoughts anyone has would be much appreciated. I know that at some
point in the future, I will need to go to 1/8 of a tablet twice a day,
and up from there eventually, but I want to help him now. Surgery is
not an option for a couple of reasons, one of which is financial.

Thanks!

Debbie