From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 19:54:31 -0500
While not all may agree with all of the info (though I do), in the
holiday spirit gently skim to what you will use yourself to protect
your animals, please. Keeping our four footed loved ones safe is what
it is all about!

BTW, when ingested some strands (string, tinsel) can also cut through
the intestine when peristalsis occurs -- kind of like cutting cake
with dental floss.

Be careful of small parts that can be swallowed. If more than one
magnet is swallowed that is even more true because when the sections
of intestine they are in are close enough they with clamp together and
tear the intestine that is between them. Some small swallowed items
can cause blockages, tears, and even poisoning.

> [...]
> chocolate, the more toxic it could be. In fact, unsweetened baking
> chocolate contains almost seven times more theobromine (a substance
> similar to caffeine) as milk chocolate. Vomiting, diarrhea, seizures,
> hyperactivity and increased thirst, urination and heart rate can be
> seen with the ingestion of as little as 1/4 ounce of baking chocolate
> by a 10-pound dog.
>
> - Keep your pet on its normal diet. Any change of diet, even for one
> meal, may give your dog or cat severe indigestion and diarrhea. This
> is particularly true for older animals that have more delicate
> digestive systems and nutritional requirements.
>
> - Candies and gum containing large amounts of the sweetener xylitol
> can also be toxic to pets, as ingestions of significant quantities
> can produce a fairly sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in
> depression, uncoordination and seizures. Be sure to keep such
> products well out of the reach of your pets.
>
> - Don't give pets holiday leftovers, and keep pets out of the
> garbage. Poultry bones can splinter and cause blockages. Greasy,
> spicy and fatty foods can cause stomach upset; spoiled or moldy
> foods could cause food poisoning, tremors or seizures.
>
> - Alcohol and pets do NOT mix. Place unattended alcoholic drinks
> where pets cannot reach them. If ingested, the animal could become
> very sick and weak and may go into a coma, possibly resulting in
> death from respiratory failure.
>
> - Keep aluminum foil and cellophane candy wrappers away from pets.
> They can cause vomiting and intestinal blockage.
>
> - Be careful with holiday floral arrangements. Lilies are commonly
> used this time of year and all varieties, including Tiger, Asian,
> Japanese Show, Stargazer and Casa Blanca can cause kidney failure in
> cats. Safe alternatives can include artificial flowers made from silk
> or plastic.
>
> - Common Yuletide plants such as mistletoe and holly berries can be
> potentially toxic to pets. Should a cat or dog eat mistletoe, they
> could possibly suffer gastrointestinal upsets and cardiovascular
> problems. Holly can cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea and lethargy if
> ingested.
>
> - Poinsettias are considered to be very low in toxicity. However,
> they could cause mild vomiting or nausea if ingested by your pet.
>
> - Keep pets away from Christmas tree water. The water may contain
> fertilizers which, if ingested, can cause a stomach upset. Stagnant
> tree water can also act as a breeding ground for bacteria and if
> ingested a pet could end up with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
>
> - Consider decorating your tree with ornaments that are relatively
> less enticing to pets, such as dried non-toxic flowers, wood, fabric
> or pinecones. Traditional decorations such as ribbons or tinsel, if
> ingested, can become lodged in the intestines and cause intestinal
> obstruction. This is a very common problem, particularly with cats.

I LOVE the folks at the ASPCA Poison Control Center. When Hubble
accidently drank some water with a bit of laundry detergent in it they
took very careful care to make sure we had all the info we needed and
knew how to follow-up if needed. Although he was fine and I had already
done what was supposed to be done, their thoroughness and knowledge was
well worth the $55.

In relation to the comment about holiday diets for pets there is some
related info in the excellent article on pancreatitis by Dr. Sandra
Kudrak in the latest issue of Ferrets magazine. Look in there for a
good surprise, too!

While not all may agree with all of the info, in the holiday spirit
gently skim to what you will use yourself to protect your animals,
please. Keeping our four footed loved ones safe is what it is all
about!

Thanks much!

Sukie (not a vet)
Current FHL address:
People can join there or can send a blank mail to the automated
joining address:
and then follow the directions.
(The second is recommended for those having problems with Yahoogroups
web settings, and afterward send a blank mail from your subscribed
address to
to get the digest instead of individual mails. )
Recommended ferret health links: