Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 10:19:44 EDT
A long holiday weekend is coming up.  What to do.  What to do.

In Chicago, the trolleys are running a free service now.  Go to the
Magnificent Mile, or the Shedd Aquarium, or the Art Museum, or Navy Pier,
or take a boat tour here in Chicago, Illinois.  Stay the weekend.  Or
stay longer.  It will take a day just to snoop through the posh Water
Tower stores.  You could be here a month in our clean, multi cultural
city and not see or do it all.

And guess what?  The shelter is really close by.  So that you can spend
Sunday or Monday as a volunteer and see for yourselves what goes on at
the shelter.

As you clean cages, and change bedding, and hold these many poor babies,
you can hear the phone ring and ring with people calling to give up their
ferrets.  See the people coming in for adoptions.  Look at the clock and
realize how many hours of time it takes to answer the phones, and be
there for ferrets being dropped off or adopted, on top of having to do
everything else.

Could YOU do it all in one day?  Come in and try as though it is just you
day and night month after month, over 12 hours of work every day.

Now imagine doing what you cannot do in one day, AND going out to get
supplies, and going to the vets with emergencies, and dusting, sweeping,
washing the floors, and doing hours and hours and hours of ferret wash
each day, and driving for several hours in the middle of the day to
rescue ferrets that are going to be euthanized at ASPCA, and bringing
them back, and giving them baths, and clipping their nails, and.......
Find them cages where there are none.

Find them forever homes.

See why we need volunteers so badly?  Not sure?  You will be after one
day here.  DON'T Trust me.  Come in and see for yourselves.

Count the ferrets needing adrenal surgery as you help the ferrets.  At
about$400 and up per surgery that the shelter must pay-how many thousands
of dollars do you think it would take for GCFA to have adrenal surgeries
performed?  This is just with the ferrets present at the time you are
there.  What would you guess?Maybe $15,000.oo needed?

But GCFA is at fault for not performing adrenal surgeries when they do
not have an extra $15,000.00 specifically for adrenal surgeries??  They
are lucky to get a $25.00 donation.  That is just one of the damaging
rumors being circulated by someone on the FML.  Check it out for
yourselves.  Try not to get REALLY upset at the people that will not stop
spreading these incredibly damaging rumors as you see one after another
after another adrenal baby.

Great time for adoptions.  But the whole family must come for that.  You
will have a hard time deciding which innocent little one or ones to make
your very own.  GCFA makes you feel like there is all the time in the
world.  I have no idea how they do it.

Call ahead please.  Especially for adoptions.  The poor overworked person
there needs to know that you are coming.

You know what is really wild?  How nice these few people are.  How
incredibly nice.  They are HONEST, sweet, loving, and cheerful.  And they
will truly be grateful for your help.

I would be a tired teary eyed crab.  Or in the hospital suffering from
exhaustion.

1-708-442-8650
Pick up the phone.
Plan a shelter/Chicago site seeing vacation.

I will be there on Sat. or Sunday I hope to see some of you there.  Come
for a few hours.  Really.  Just a few hours will really help the shelter.
And it will show you the truth.