From:
Diana Ashton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 14:53:01 PST
I have read with interest and amusement the posts from Bob regarding his
travels with his business.  His opinion regarding shelters though I take
some offense to.  I agree that shelters are to act as temporary homes till
good ones can be found but I dom't agree that shelters can't address the
needs of the ferret.  I think tha most of us that operate shelters have
their best interests at heart.  We know that human bonding and out of cage
playtime are crucial to the welfare of a ferret and will further dictate
how socially compatible they are.  I am fortunate to work out of my home
and I have contact with all 15 of the ferrets that are in my home.  Some of
the ferrets that come in to me are so tramatized or so sick that the
chances of them being taken in by someone are virtually nill.  I will not
risk them to even the slightest potential of not getting the most love and
care that they deserve.  If that make me somewhat of a collector, guilty as
charged.  My standards are high, maybe to high, the only things that I ask
are that my potential adopters make the commitment of a LIFE LONG home
filled with love.  As I state in my adoption questionare, All aplications
considered, Not all accepted.  Mr. Church, as much as I adore all my fur
children, I can't afford to be a collector.  I am a single mom with 3
teenage children to care for.  With what I spend on me ferrets each year
would be a sizeable down payment on college tuition.  I saw a need for a
shelter in my area as there were none and the animal shelter was putting
them down because it is illegal for them to adopt them out.  I am sure that
you have seen many less than admirable shelters in your travels, much more
than I, but I am thankful that yours is just your opinion.  Those of us
that are dedicated to doing all that is in our power to ensure that all the
fur children that come through our doors have a life long home filled with
love, do so because of our love and desire to make a difference.  The
ferrets that come to me will always have a home with me if I cannot find
one that meets my standards elsewhere.  I am trully thankful that there is
a network of such dedicated people all striving towards the same goal.

TTFN,
Diana and The Ferret Farm