From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 12:25:38 -0400
Gerry, I hate to have to say this but it sounds like you need a vet
who knows ferrets, even just the statement equating 6 years of age to
80 in humans is worrisome.  6 is more like 60 in humans.  Having no
idea why any died is worrisome.   I have never heard of any having a
fatal response to Lupron but I'd guess it is possible if the ferret
had something like a rare allergy, but the circumstance don't add up.
A ferret with an adrenal growth that is going to respond to Lupron
isn't a candidate for ICU, and you'd want to have the individual
stabilized first before trying something like that.  One with
adrenally based lymphoma/lymphosarcoma might be a candidate for ICU,
of course, and that comes in clumps.

Here is a list of places which can help find ferret-knowledgeable vets:

http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc

http://www.quincyweb.net/quincy/vet.html

http://www.thepetproject.com/starferrets.html

http://www.ferretcentral.org

For what did they give the ferrets Pred and in what mg doses?  Pred is a
useful med, but it can increase ulcerations in animals which already have
them, or cause them in very large doses.  Black and tarry stools are a
clear indication of ulceration and you saw that in them.  In that case
there are standard approaches.  Yes, if there is already an undiagnosed
ulcer, or if the dose is too high ulcers can worsen or start.  Usually,
ferrets are incredibly resistant to side effects of steroids, but this is
an exception.

>I was writing to see if anyone has used the Weezl Watchr ferret gate?

It's WONDERFUL and it doesn't shatter if someone trips over it, unlike the
cheaper, made-at-home versions!  We have had two for YEARS.  Gosh, it's
got to be a minimum of 5 years so far, likely more.  Steve'a a tall guy,
weighing over 200 pounds and having size 14 A feet.  His feet catch on
these a few times each and every week and they go flying.  So far neither
even has a crack.  At one point I thought that one had a small crack but
it's an outer coating that was peeling a touch.

>i have had to catapult a chain link fence, once to catch a ferret on the
>loose, and i am only 5'2" tall, never thought this 50 year old body could
>do something like that :-)

Amazing what things stay for decades from gym class (or anything from
years ago).  I had a spill and almost slammed my head into a rail;
instead I automatically did a flip and came up on my feet on the other
side.  Like you, I have no idea how I did it; my body just knew how, the
adrenaline kicked in, and it just happened.

>Do we have anyone on this site who is in France.

Also, go to the non-U.S. listings at
http://www.ferretcentral.org
and you will find ferret groups in many nations.