From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:58:38 -0500
>Although there are ample references for the rest of the assertions in
>your post, Anonymous, I can't find any resource which lists anything
>near the adult illiteracy rate quoted for Camden, NJ.  Resources,
>please?

Told to me by a woman (This was in the early 90's) who worked in a high
position in the Camden mayors office.  The federal govt. had been on
their back (the cities) earlier because they had such an extremely poor
response to the US census, way below par.  At the time of the census the
city estimated at or near a 50% illiteracy rate in the adult population
as one of the reason the census failed there.  She emphasized they knew
this before the cen us was mailed out, they didn't invent it to cover
their backs after the fact, and showed the eviden e to the federals to
make them back off.