From:
petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 13:03:22 -0600
My husband and I run a shelter in the St. Louis, Missouri, area, and we
recently got a call from a guy looking to adopt a ferret.  He was referred
to us by a local pet store (good!) but then it turned out that he wanted to
take the ferret with him back to California where he lives (REAL BAD!).  He
would not understand why we turned him down.  The pet store people didn't
know that ferrets are illegal in California - they thought that it was just
illegal to BREED them, not to OWN them.

I understand that it's common practice for people in California to go out of
state, buy ferrets, and bring them back in, but I don't want to be
responsible for that risk to the ferret.

Any opinions on this from Californians, others?

Sara Petersen