Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 09:54:29 EST
Hi everyone - its been a while since I posted and some of it has to do
with the current load of sick or ill ferrets at the shelter - for those
following Bandit, aka tube boy, we finally were able to remove his tube
on 3/6 after he began steadily eating food.  His final choice?  A mix of
Pro Plan kitten and senior.  Garrett had a bad episode with breathing (we
thought he was having a pulmonary episode) and Lasix has been added to his
daily regimen of Prednisone, Proglycem, Theophylline and Enacard.  He is
doing better than anyone expected and can be quite active at times, just
for short periods.

In case anyone ever wondered what it might be like to be a shelter, I am
providing a short journal of yesterday's activities:

6:27am - woken by the phone --- "I found a ferret, he's not mine and I
don't want him --can you come get him?" Sure, I can come get him, when?
"After work - here are the directions".

6:35 Might as well get up - I'm awake now and anyway, Kiki has to get a
rabies shot today ......

8:00 am - at the vets getting a rabies shot.  Wait 30 minutes after the
shot in case of reaction.

9:00 am - give benadryl to 4 ferrets needing distemper shots.  Start
changing bedding, dumping litter pans while waiting.

9:30 am -- give vaccinations to Mya, Kya, Paedra and Fandango.  Continue
cleaning/changing, etc...

10:45 am - finish up, all ferrets vaccinated are fine - splurge!  Have a
couple hours to myself!

2:45 pm - on the computer, hear distinctive horking noises....its one of
the ferrets vaccinated earlier.  Watch ferret vomit, then poop.  Stool has
blood in it.  Get benadryl and attempt to dose ferret.  Ferret latches on
to left index finger and chomp, grind, chomps.  Finally get her to let go
when putting her head under cold running water (I was alone, so no help was
around).  Dose the ferret with benadryl.  Attempt to stop the bleeding.
Begin gathering carrier, keys, purse, shoes, etc.  Ferret is now lethargic
- I am very worried as now her only bowel movement is producing watery
blood.  My emergency, emergency vet is 2 blocks away - thats where I go.
She is rushed to the back for treatment.  Vet comes out a bit later and
asks how aggressive should the treatment be (an indication to me just how
bad of shape she was in).  I tell them to do whats necessary.

4:00 pm - I can pick Mya up -- the steriods and antihistimines did the job
well.  Shes very down, but alert.

4:30 pm - leave to make the appointment to pick up found ferret.  Its about
35 miles away.

5:15 pm - See the condition of the found ferret and am horrified - the
ferret is in a large box - "He's only eating peanut butter...." The ferret
has on his belly surrounding his penis, a tumor the size of a silver eagle -
but the worst part is that the center abcessed and is the size of a dime.
Tumor is almost an inch tall, and black.  Necrotic tissue surrounds the
edges of the abcess.  The prepuce doesn't look like its actually involved,
but pushed out of the way...his ureter opening is pushed to the right and
looks like a stretched half moon....

5:50 pm - I arrive at my regular vet.  He is examined by both of the ferret
vets and x-rayed.  The abcessed opening is aproximately 1 1/4" deep, and
encrusted with clumpable cat litter.  We decide to do surgery to remove the
tumor the next day.  When he was examined last night, we could see no
mestasizing in the body, but we are worried that the urethra is involved.
Poor little ferret can't lay on his belly, but gave me a kiss or two.  We
won't know how bad it is until they start cutting him open - but I am
hoping that some semblance of normality will be returned to him.Think some
good thoughts for this little one, okay?  He doesn't even have a name....

6:55 pm - I arrive back at the house, where I am greeted by happy, healthy
ferrets.  Each gets a special hug from me, and a treat.  I am hopeful that
the little one at the vet pulls through....

7:10 pm - let the next play group out....

7:15 pm - Go to meeting.....get back at 9 pm...

10:30 pm - my last thoughts are...."God, I hope tomorrow isn't like this!"

Lisa Leidig, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
http: www.ferrethaven.org
Want to help The Ferret Haven By-the-Sea? Register at iGive.com
by cutting and pasting this link:
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1236&MID=854