From:
Rbossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 21:18:05 EST
I had posted this earlier, but in light of the recent posts on insurance
companies refusing to give home owner's insurance to ferret owner's I'll
post it again.  It concerns an underwriter in NH working for Liberty Mutual
Insurance.  The underwriter had refused an insurance policy to some people
here because they were ferret owners.  I emailed Liberty Mutual and asked
for review of their policy on ferrets.  Here was their response:

"Richard,

Here's what we were able to find out about ferrets' affect on homeowner
insurance policies.

Liberty Mutual has a policy that any domesticated animals not considered
vicious by nature do not require an underwriting exception.  Currently,
ferrets are not being viewed uniformly by our regional underwriters as
domestic animals.  Our Home Office will issue a clarification to all
regional operations that ferrets are to be considered domestic animals, and
do not require underwriting exception.  This Home Office release will be
issued within the next two weeks.

We look forward to continuing to serve you.  Please feel free to share this
info with your local Liberty Mutual representative.  If you have any
additional questions, please contact us again.

Thank you.

Maryanne Panaro
Director Web Services"

You just may want to call your Liberty Mutual rep. and tell them you're
switching insurance because of their ferret friendly policy.

Dick B.