From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 May 1995 18:45:43 -0700
To Judi Lunn -

>    My 2 year old, Murphy (the music box man) developed on his lower left
>tummy a blue bump.  It's a perfectly round bump (under the skin) about 1/8
>inch and the skin above it looks blue.

    Judi - what you are describing is probably a cystic sweat gland.  These
are common benign growths in ferrets, but just to be on the safe side, it
probably would be good to have it removed surgically and checked.  Ferrets
can rarely get malignant tumors of the sweat glands, and you want to take
care of those in short order.

    It's probably not a rush, but I would schedule your ferret to have
it removed - simple surgery, usually can be done in only a few minutes.

Bruce Williams, DVM