From:
Jennifer Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 13:24:07 -0500
A chest tap was finally done on Syd this morning.  The results showed
the cancer has spread throughout much of his body.  There was blood and
clusters of cancer cells in the fluid.  Dr. Edling said there was not much
that could be done for this type of cancer - adnoid (sp?).  She removed
fluid from around his heart and lungs and he is breathing easy now.
Jack's cold and showing similar symptoms was almost a cruel twist of fate,
strictly a coincedence, nothing more.  We don't have any hopes of Syd
recovering, but when we went to see him after the tap, he was comfortable
and eating, even wanted to play a little when we came in.  Though I know
the time is coming very, very soon, today just was not the day to say
goodbye.

We don't expect to have the week with him, his chest could fill again
within 48 hours.  He is taking lasix twice a day, but this is just in hopes
of holding off the end a little bit longer.  I've had a bad feeling about
the cancer since the ultrasound 2 weeks ago showed 3 small spots.  I know
part of bringing him home is my selfishness, I didn't want to let the last
36 hours of his life be spent in a small cage in the backroom at the vets.
I wanted him to have whatever time we could steal be home with us.  I
wanted Syd sleeping in his favorite hammock or curled up in his favorite
sleep sack.  I want him to have all the raisins and ferretone he wants, and
to cuddle in my arms or across my daughter's lap knowing how much we've
loved him.  I could not bring myself to say goodbye in a vets office when
he could have a day or two home with us.  Being home now I know I was
right, Syd has spent the last 10 minutes fighting to get the basement door
open, he loves to escape downstairs and explore.  He has checked out all
his favorite hidey spots in the room, grabbed a bite to eat, played with
his friends and is now heading up to his favorite spot on the top level of
the cage.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,

Jen and Gang