From:
Gary Holowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 1995 01:20:16 -0800
        To Amy McGraw, et.al.

1)Fleas
>What kind of flea shampoo is ferret-safe?  And, if there isn't any, how
>do I get rid of them.

    I have used a cat safe dip, but hearing they're not the best have gotten
some shampoo and dip with a citrus extract.  I haven't had flea problems
lately, so honestly haven't used them yet.  A good flea comb used daily
helps also.  My Sachi just relaxes & enjoys this.  Cleaning of the whole
house and bedding is essential.

2)Drafts
>Austin sleeps in his cage at night, and I not sure if it's safe.

    It seems that they tollerate cool temps.  much better than heat.  I keep
the winter temp.  about 74 for my comfort, but near an outside wall it can
get pretty cool.  When Timmy was out all the time so I could observe him, I
put a few double layer ski caps where he would curl up to sleep, & he
crawled inside nice and snug.  I think Walmart had them for about $7.00,
pretty cheap & washable.

3)Descenting
>My vet doesn't believe in descenting ferrets.  Will he be "OK" without
>taking that horrible smell away?

    I got mine neutered & decented, but from what I hear from the more
experienced, the most smell comes when they are not neutered.  I also hear
that in Europe it is illegal to descent unless there is a medical reason to.
He will certainly be ok medically speaking, the owner is the one who would
have a problem, if any.

        take care, Gary

Violence is not strength,  Compassion is not weakness.    From Camelot.