From:
"TinyPrintsOnTheHeart.com" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 08:22:34 -0400
So this is basically about me/other shelters raising money.  I have not
posted about funds for a bit now, but that is besides the point.  I
certainly do not advertise everyday.  There are many shelters on here
that do advertise, and when you are on a lot of lists, you get tons of
duplicate messages.  When you are a small shelter, 6 ferrets can take
your ferret count way up.  When you get in 6-7 sick ferrets, it can
bankrupt you.  6 ferret coming into me is like when a Larger shelter
takes in 20, they are a much bigger operation.  But it impacts all of us
the same.  Yeah, I am not a big shelter, I don't have a huge building
with a ton of ferrets.  I have a three car garage I could fill with
ferret cages and have 1000's of them, but I choose to only take on what I
can personally handle because I don't have a staff at my beck and call.
I believe in good quality care, including good medical care.  The larger
shelters have been established for years, and have groups of people to
help socialize and care for them.  They also get corporate donations on
an ongoing basis, money from the SOS etc.  I don't.  So I need to raise
money some how.  Money does not grow on trees and their are alot of times
when we (my husband, myself and our four children) go without because we
have a vet bill to pay.  Many weekend goes by when I don't see my husband
because I am out fundraising.  And that goes for ALL SHELTERS.  If we
(meaning large and small shelters) had unlimited amount of money pouring
into our shelters, we would not have to sit on the computer and list
auctions all day.  Or think of new creative items to sell.  You think we
do this and all the advertising because we want to annoy you??  When you
have an auction on ebay for a cause you can't advertise that on ebay
unless you are 501C.  You must get the word out.  When you advertising on
these groups you get bids, plain and simple.  Out of sight, out of mind.
That is why everyone who fundraises keeps the auctions fresh in
everyone's mind.  I don't advertise anymore then anyone else here.

There are posts I don't follow either, but that is why Mr. Computer maker
put a scroll button on the mouse......or a delete button on your computer
keyboard.  I just simply scroll by the messages I don't want to read.  It
takes only a second.  But I am sure everyone who advertises their benefit
auctions on here will agree with me, that they get bids when they
advertise.  This is the only way we can hit a ton of people who are
interested in ferret related things.

Instead of hammering us for advertising, send all of us money each month
to fund our HUGE bills, then we will not have to advertise.  But I doubt
if we will see that check in the mail.  I can't believe you are jumping
on shelters for trying to raise money on their own.  That just totally
boggles my mind.  I hope you are just having a bad day.......... AGAIN,
My OPINION...........

Marguerite (Who is not afraid to post her name)

PS.  Shots....I will agree with you on one point.  I do believe Galaxy is
safe for ferrets, I do use it on my personal older ferrets.  My vet has
been using it for years with no side effects or distemper outbreaks.
The titer levels drop much faster lessoning the reactions when you
vaccinate every year.  But, I run my shelter and my show ferrets under
the guidelines of the AFA.  The AFA does not approve the Galaxy D shots.
They only approve Furvac or Purvac.  Although I would love to see all the
ferrets I adopt out, in the show ring, because it is a WONDERFUL place
to meet other ferret people, to have fun, a bonding experiences with the
ferret and owner and a super family activity, I don't vaccinate with
Furvac for that reason.  I do, because of the guidelines set up by the
AFA.  They are working on a program for shelters and will become more
involved in helping shelters, so it is important to me to follow the
guidelines.  And I hope you never have to experience a shot reaction.
To see your ferret dying because you are trying to do what will help to
keep him/her safe from distemper/rabies is heartbreaking, even if it
is a rescue ferret.  And you should do rabies shots even if you are not
required.  If you ferret show nip a person and they want to cause a
stink, you will be out of luck with any state.  They will take your
ferret into quarantine.

TinyPrints On The Heart.....
TinyPrints Shih Tzu, TinyPrints Ferretry and Rescue
http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.com
Ebay Sales to Benefit TinyPrints Ferret Rescue Medical Fund
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZalohaferrets
TinyPrints Ferret Rescue PetFinder Web Page
http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.petfinder.org
TinyPrints Ferret Rescue Store
http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.com/onlinestore.htm