From:
Kristina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:50:13 -0800
>[no rabies] and they are determined to keep it that way.  Well Hawaii
>does not feel that the rabies vaccines speciffically for Ferrets has
>been proven effective for a long enough period....

>I find that ridicuously, since there have been more rabies testing done
>on ferrets than any other animal - they are by far one of the most
>rabies resistant species out there.

It may seem ridicuous but that is how they feel.  There has also bee some
studies done that when a ferret gets Rabies they don't transmit the virus
in the saliva i.e a rabid ferret just gets sick.

Also In reply to the person who was upset about the information that is
spread about ferrets.  I have to say that even though most ferrets would
die in the wild very quickly, Hawaii has very ligitamate reasons to be
careful with what gets there.  It seems that almost every animal taken
there has posed problems.  One island has a chicken problem, that started
with "domestic" chickens.  I say that is strange they learned to survive.
Hawaii bans some other animal that seem weird.

Kristina and Rickey