From:
Carla Almaraz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 18:42:19 -0700
>Do you know what she was feeding and can you tell us how you know this?
>I know that you judge and have, I am sure, seen some of her ferrets.  Was
>this how you know?

The product I saw was made especially for growing thick fur on mink.  It
was named something like Fur-gro.  The shelter that purchased Charlie's
culls and rescues tried the food so that the shelter ferrets would have
good fur too.  The ferrets *hated* it and it was fish based to boot.

>Two Pole ... had some form of genetic problems, mostly involving facial
>or limb deformities.

It wasn't until I read Leonard's post that I remembered that my 2 Pole
culled breeder absolute sweet boy I love (Schultz) suffers from a genetic
defect where his jaw is twisted.  A mother's love is blind.....

>It is their choice of stock and what they do with it that we should be
>worried about.

I saw the post about the various locations where the other 700 or so
breeding animals went.  Do any of those people know about the concerns
voiced here?

>I've been following this thread and am wondering if it is possible for
>several people (individually and for varied opinions) to stop in and
>visit the Coles to see the set-up and find out what their plans are for
>their ferrets?

Great idea Troy Lynn!  Any volunteers?  Why don't we develop a list of
concerns/questions?  For that matter, shouldn't this apply to any breeder
or shelter?  Don't you think that everyone who operates such a busyness
should be willing to have someone inpsect them at any reasonable time
(and not just the couple days after cleaning day) and ask the same kind of
questions?  I have 4 foster kids and the shelter operator has a key to my
house.  I've given her permission to enter my house at *any* time to check
on the kids.

>but I do know of two in the Washington Ferret Shelter at this time, that
>are very bad biters, and no matter what we do, so far we have not been
>able to get them to stop.

With Schultz, it was just getting him in a loving home.  I adopted him
just because he had a sign on his cage that said "CAUTION: HATES WOMEN!".
I took that as a challenge.  He is the *sweetest* boy.  He just wanted
out of that cage.  Just remember, no nose thumping!

   -Carla