From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 1995 21:30:50 -0500
To Mike and Yuki Busch:

This is just my own opinion, but I don't think the LUMP soup recipe
is a good for ferrets.  Many of the ingredients are not really ferret-
friendly.

There are many veggies (broccoli, lettuce, carrots, etc) that aren't
digested well by ferrets.

All the molasses and raisins in the recipe contain too much sugar -
this can be dangerous for an insulinoma ferret because the glucose
level rises significantly causing the pancreas to churn out more
insulin causing a decrease and up and down and up and down......

I think you'd be much better off with DUCK Soup.

You didn't say, but did you tell your vet you've adjusted the Prelone
dosage?  He may want to know that.  It also may be why you continue
to have seizure problems.  If he doesn't like the taste you might want
to consider mixing it with something - like chicken baby food.

If your ferret is having a seizure, try giving Karyo Syrup or pancake
syrup - if he's too out of it to eat on his own, it can still be
absorbed by his body if you rub it on his gums.  This will cause an
almost instant increase in blood sugar and will help pull him out of
his seizures.

I don't know that the oatmeal in the LUMP soup is digested well by
ferrets either.

Again, I'm not a vet, but everything I've read suggests that this may
not be the best recipe to use for ANY ferret.

Maybe Dr. Williams would like to comment if I'm wrong on this.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY