From:
Steve Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 00:14:07 -0400
>So the question behind the story is, how do you treat ferret bites on
>humans?  Being in CACA land I don't want to have to go to the doctor and
>make up a story about a stray cat bite.  I cleaned the bites well with
>lots of soap and water, and they appear fine.  But bites can puncture and
>seal bacteria in easily.  Anyone out there experienced and treating their
>war wounds want to give some treatment tips?

Ferret bites would be treated like any animal or human bite- due to the
bacteria in the mouth they are more prone to becoming infected.  Cat bites
are about 75% chance of infection and dogs about 8% humans are somewhere
in between.  I am not sure where ferrets fall but it would depend on many
factors- the depth of puncture, the area that was bit (extremities
,especially feet, and joints are much more likely to get infected), and
the person's immune system- someone with HIV, Diabetes, cancer, on
chemotherapy, steroids, or very young or very old are more likely to get
infections.

Clean the wound very good, those over a joint, or very deep should be
irrigated by a doctor.  Do not close with anything, if it has to be
stitched because it is on the face, then the chance of infection is more.
If there is a risk of infection a doctor will prescribe a short course of
antibiotics as a preventative.  Use Bacitracin on the wound daily.

If the animal can carry rabies it should be quarantined for at least 10
days and if becomes ill, the vet should be notified it bit someone,and
the doctor may start rabies immunizations on the person that was bit.

It wouldn't matter so much it was a ferret or cat, I think you would be
safe if you needed to go to the hospital/doctor to say it was a cat- but
make sure you don't say it was a stray because if the animal can't be
quarantined then you may be asked to start the rabies shots which are a
series of 7 in total.

Patty