From:
Jennifer Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 16:12:31 -0500
I wanted to post this for everyone who sent well wishes when Syd had his
surgery in December.  I believe I posted that the biopsy on the growth came
back as adrenal carcinoma.  We were shocked because he is less than 2 years
old and the picture of perfect health, beautiful coat and quite robust
appearance.

We had our first follow-up exam (not counting stitches) on Monday.  He has
been seeing Anna Edling, so I am confident he is in excellent hands.  She
performed another ultrasound on him Monday.  She found 3 spots, two of
which she is hoping will be just scar tissue, but the third is giving us
some concern.  She also was quite honest to say that with the size of the
growth (and it turning out to be cancer), the odds are not that great that
everything was removed.  She also mentioned about a thickening where the
fat deposits are near the intestines (anyone have a clue??).  Whatever she
saw there gave her some concern for the lymph nodes.  I was in shock and
fighting tears, so I probably did not comprehend as well as I would at this
moment.

We have another scan scheduled for Monday the 21st.  Syd is usually dropped
off in the morning and picked up after work by my boyfriend.  But I am
taking off on the 21st to go in and sit down with Anna to discuss our
options for treatment and expectations.  I was warned by my regular vet
that if this happened, the cancer would return with a vengeance and most
likely spread quickly.  At times like this, it is bad to have such a
straight forward vet, though I appreciate knowing what the odds really are.

Has anyone seen anything like this before??  Anna is telling me Syd is a
case study because everything he presents goes against the norm.  He is too
young for this particular type of cancer, the incredible growth rate of the
tumor, the tumor appearance (it was like a sack filled with blood and clear
fluid), his outward appearance of perfect health, appetite, coat, his
continued laid back, mellow attitude, everything goes against what is
typical or expected.

I have him a regimen of daily garlic supplements.  I've found some
literature showing examples of garlic reducing the size and rate of cancer
in animals, typically dogs.  He is not real happy about the garlic, I've
been mixing it with ferretone, but worry it may lose some potency.  Even
mixed with ferretone, he fights me to take it.

His activity level has increased substantially in the past few weeks.  He
was not overly active for about 3 weeks after surgery.  Considering he had
a growth removed that weighed about 4 oz plus a full exploratory done,
guess I can understand!!  But within the past few weeks, he has gotten back
to being active for long periods, not just half an hour before napping.  He
has been trying to drag me under the futon by my foot again (he loves, or
maybe hates, my slipper socks with the rubber treads on the bottom).  I
have one of those over the door cat toys that sticks out about a foot and a
stretchy cord with some little furball on the end.  That is his favorite,
he did not touch it for quite some time, but is back to stretching the cord
out a good 10 feet and then letting it fling back like a slingshot (makes a
hell of a noise!!), then charging after it again (usually smacking into the
door, but, hey I never said he was graceful!!).

Anyway, getting upset thinking about my chubby fugitive from NY and what is
happening inside his roly-poly little body.  If anyone has any advice,
knows of any vet who might have input or experience, please email me.  I
am desperate for some answers or possibilities.

Hugs to all,

Jen and Gang