From:
Gina Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 13:39:02 -0400
Hi

While I'm not one to usually jump into the fray, I just can't resist
commenting on the Modern Ferret/Ferrets issue since I am one of the few
minority voices (or at least one of the few who is willing to speak up).
Personally, I subscribe to both magazines, and I intend to continue
subscribing to both.  If you can afford to do so, I urge you to do the
same.  After all, any educated person will seek out as many sources of
information as possible- it's never good to rely only on one reference.
Modern Ferret and Ferrets magazines each have their own strengths and
weaknesses.

Modern Ferret strengths:  Produced by ferret owners, friendly/personalized
format

Modern Ferret weaknesses: Contains a bit too much "fluff" for my tastes
(e.g.  full page gag photos, extensive personal information about the
publishers)

Ferrets strengths: Predominantly information-related articles, professional
(polished) format, wide distribution and regular publishing dates

Ferrets weaknesses: Aformentioned problems with publishing California
ferret owner's names/addresses

Unlike many folks, I do not feel that Ferrets magazine contains any more
informational errors than does Modern Ferret.  Yes, Ferrets made the one,
serious mistake regarding the medicine dosage.  That error should not have
been made by the article's author, and/or it should have been caught by the
editing team.  At the very least, they should have published a prominent
correction in the next issue.

However, I have seen photos and/or information in Modern Ferret that have
made me cringe as well.  One example- the photo of a ferret trying to get
in to a toilet springs immediately to mind.  That photo (published in Pink
Noses) was printed with no warnings or comments regarding the danger of
that situation.  In another edition, I recall seeing photos from a ferretry
where ferret excrement was literally piled beneath the breeding cages.

One final comment- to both magazines- please be sure that ferrets appearing
in photographs are well-groomed.  It drives me absolutely nuts to see
photos of otherwise beautiful ferrets with horridly long nails!

Happy Ferreting!
Gina Hart/Sage Ferrets
Visit the Sage Ferrets web site
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/1122

Sometimes I think I would like to be named the 'Prince of Weasels.' As the
Prince of Weasels, I would sneak up behind people and bite them.  Then they
would turn around and say, "What the... Oh, it's just you, the Prince of
Weasels." ...Jack Handey