From:
Paula A Bryder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 19:07:16 -0700
This is actually addressed to Kristi Siegel, per her Sunday article about
a kangaroo owner in Clearwater.

Dear Kristi,
I am a ferret-owner in Temple Tterrace who subscribes to the St Pete Times,
Tampa edition.  I am interested in fostering/sheltering ferrets who are lost
or abandoned due to ill health or owner inadequacies.  I called the Humane
Society this week to offer my services as a ferret rescue & was told that
ferrets are routinely destroyed out of fear of rabies when they are turned
into the HS.

This shocked me - if my (vaccinated) pets become lost somehow, are found &
then turned into the HS out of some animal lover's hope of redemption, they
will be killed, without hope of reason prevailing.  I have researched fully
the shedding studies of rabies in ferrets, as well as the exposure vectors.
I know (if the Tampa Bay Humane Society does not) that there is no chance
that a ferret will pass rabies on to any human.  ( if a human with rabies
(active) bites a ferret, who, within a week of the bite, bites a human,
then, if all involved have drawn blood, the second human might come down
with hay fever or a sprained ankle - probably not rabies)

I would like to see an investigation of the Humane Society's policies
regarding ferrets & rabies.  I have many pages of documentation of the
scientific work that has been done on this topic, along with the three
sweetest & most affectionate fur-slinkies ever living in my home with me.
If all were well, a 'found' ferret would be watched for 7 days - if he has
rabies, he'll die.  If he doesn't, he won't.  It's not that complicated.

My concern is that other people will lose their pets, or that an abandoned
ferret will be killed needlessly, simply because the TBHS has not kept up
with the literature.  Ferrets are the safest,sweetest pets available today.
They must not be killed because of ignorance or scientific laziness.

I will open my home & my files to you if you are willing to work to stop
this needless slaughter of innocent, loving animals.  If you can't help me,
please refer me to someone who can.

BTW, your article on the Clearwater Kangaroo made me think seriously
about adding one to my household (I won't - my cat, ferrets, and dog keep
me happy & busy enough!). It was charmingly written.

I hope to hear from you soon...ferrets may be dying!
Paula Bryder
5514 Terrace Ct #3
Temple Terrace, Fla 33617
813-988-8314