From:
"Michelle Z. Matta" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 14:12:44 -0400
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd add my own experiences on the "COUCH".  About 9 months ago we
got our first ferrets.  I posted the same question to the fml myself.  They
first started digging at the bottom lining of the couch.  Once they
shredded through that, we took the lining off completely, and took the legs
off.  That worked for about 5 minutes.  They discovered that if you crawl
under the cushion, you can slip down into the couch between the base seat
and the backing.  We tried EVERYTHING!  We stuffed the gap with rags, with
heavy plastic, everything.  We even sewed fabric on the couch to cover over
the opening.  One swipe of the claw and voila!  The material was off.
Finally, 9 months later we found something that worked (for now).  I found
a superglue at Phar Mor - I can't remember the name of it right now.  If
anyone is interested I'll get you the name.  It was a "heavy duty" type of
superglue.  It bonded more than double the normal amount of items that
normal superglue did, including FABRIC.  I stocked up on the stuff (it was
pretty inexpensive - $1.50).  I sealed all the openings in the couch -
including the puffy backing where it met the side arms.  Its one of those
contemporary fluffy couches and to look at it you don't see the gap in the
fabric, but if you stick your hand inside the fabric, its a HUGE opening to
the inside of the couch.  So I superglued that shut.  You can't even tell
looking at it.  If you run your hand along the superglued area, it just
appears to be "sealed".  The area between the back and the seat presented
more of a challenge.  The opening was larger than the material came
together.  We used duct tape and sealed the area VERY TIGHT.  Once the
cushion goes on the couch, you can't see the duct tape.  But they've pretty
much given up on this approach - for now.  Its been about 3 weeks now since
we did this and to this day we haven't had to tear the couch apart looking
for them after work.  It amazes me on how easily they get in but can't get
out the same way!  I think its a conspiracy.

Mish