From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 07:28:21 GMT
I'm posting anonymously because this isn't an argument, flame or debate;
it's simply info.  I don't have the time nor the energy to address anyone
that may perceive it otherwise.

I spoke with Pam at Performance Foods today regarding old bags printed w/
the Lisbon, OH address and phone number.  She said it is *not* old food and
that there's no way the expiration/manufacture date could be changed or
tampered with.  She also told me there are a few still out there with the
old info, but that new bags are now in production and that although the
*corporate* offices had moved to Colorado, the food *is* still manufactured
in OH.  She did seem surprised though when I mentioned that the 'old' phone
number now belonged to an individual.  Obviously, an 800# should be on the
bags now.  She didn't say and I didn't think to ask whether the 800# is for
CO or OH (I assume CO).

I write because I have an 'old' bag, actually two, that expire Jan 01.  I,
too, look for the farthest expiration date when buying locally, and ask for
it when ordering over the phone.  I had two of the bad bags (Sept 01)
long before this was widely publicized, and before I even knew there
was a problem beyond what I thought was an isolated incident (the store I
returned mine to claimed not to have any knowledge of any problems).  I
took them back and was met with a bit of 'static' and attitude along the
lines that I didn't know what I was talking (smelling) about.  I insisted
both bags smelled like a new office building to me, like wood finishes or
preservatives.  I persisted, telling her I knew both store managers, the
store policy, and that PF would reimburse them.  I 'won' and the manager
on duty described the odor almost identical to how I had earlier.

Neither of mine would even try it (one of which isn't very picky).  I
didn't even feel comfortable letting them think about it because of the
terribly 'off' smell of both bags.

Again, this is being posted only to offer more info regarding this
unfortunate situation.  I am not blaming nor defending anyone, anywhere.

[S]