From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 1995 16:51:04 -0400
A few days ago I proudly mentioned that we foiled Caruso's leaps over the
baby gate with plexiglass.  Well I spoke too soon.  Within 2 days he was
leaping over again.  I discovered that he could catch his claws at the top
of the plexiglass and hoist himself up.  If I push the plexiglass up a bit
to close the gap, he can't make it.

Unfortunately, there are other problems.  First, he had been peeing on the
floor in front of the gate (fortunately linoleum).  I thought he just liked
that spot, but I see now that it was punative peeing.  When he learned to
jump it, and we removed the gate for a couple days, he stopped peeing there.
When we put the gate back with the new plexiglass, he started again.  He
stopped after he learned the trick of hooking his claws, and peed again when
I moved the plexiglass up.  I know this is not just because he needs to go
to the potty.  One time I saw him wake up, use his litter box ("Good boy,
Caruso!  Good boy!"), and then 10 minutes later pee next to the gate when he
couldn't get over ("Bad boy, Caruso!  Bad boy!")

Has anyone else had this kind of problem? How do I stop this peeing, other
than by letting him have run of the house? And what of poor little Belle, who
never could jump the gate?

Linda, Richard ("See? I said we should have named him Spite, er, I mean,
Spike."), Joy, Belle (who has been a model of correct bathroom etiquette
lately) and Caruso