From:
Pam Sessoms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 13:31:42 -0400
I'm pleased to pass along word that Gaston County, North Carolina, has
lifted their prohibition on possessing, selling, and distributing ferrets!
The County Clerk kindly faxed me a copy of the revised ordinance, and I've
scanned it and put it on our local club's website at:

http://www.trifl.org/politics.html

PLEASE NOTE that although ferrets aren't "banned" any longer, there are now
some interesting restrictions.  For example, rabies vaccines are *required*
annually as is annual licensing through Animal Control within 3 days of
vaccination time.  The license must be displayed on the ferret's collar
whenever the ferret is off the owner's property.  Also, you CANNOT carry
your ferret in your arms in public or even take him out on a leash even
if *muzzled* (it really does say that); the fuzzy must be fully enclosed
in a cage or carrier.

Anyway, there ya have it!  It's a big step forward.  The stuff on that
web page is for now limited to images of the faxed pages; I do plan to get
a text version up there when I can.  Last time I checked, the official
County's website (www.gastongov.org) wasn't updated with the revised
Ordinance yet, but they have said it will be soon.

Best wishes to all,

-Pam S.

[P.S. at 17:26:]

Whoops, two addendums:

>The license must be displayed on the ferret's collar whenever the ferret
>is off the owner's property.

It's also OK if the owner has possession of the license.  :-)

>Last time I checked, the official County's website (www.gastongov.org)
>wasn't updated with the revised Ordinance yet, but they have said it
>will be soon.

It's still not up there, but they've changed domain names are are now at
http://www.co.gaston.nc.us/

This'll teach me to post all in a rush!

-Pam S.