From:
Tootsie Mead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2006 00:32:04 -0400
I for one have seen Rose's work up close and personal and see the many
hours she spends daily on making her bedding.  Her garage is set up
beautifully and neatly with all kinds of materials that she buys weekly.

I have seen Rose volunteer to take the ferrets that most people could not
take or foster due to time involvement or extra special needs, when they
come into the Maff shelter.  Just last weekend I went with her to pick
up her two special needs ferrets that came in from Centerville, MSPCA.
She was prepared with her little medical kit, blood monitor and all,
knowing one was subq'd that morning.  I could not believe one of them
barely alive.  His name was Furby.  My sister assessed his condition,
learning a lot from our vet who teaches us what to look for when a ferret
has a problem, etc.  After having a rough time getting a small blood
sample for a bg check, which was 97 , my sister knew right away he was
septic by his signs.  She immediately called our vet (it was her day off)
since Maffs vet was not available.  Diane from South Shore Ferret Care,
held and rocked Furby while she softly spoke to him.  My sister left a
message on our vets beeper and a couple minutes later she called back.
Our vet would meet my sister at her practice about 10 minutes away.
Sure enough, Furby was septic.  There were 3 choices given.  One was
euthanasia, two was hospitalize at another emergency clinic (since she
could not stay overnight and monitor or give emergency care for him) or
three, she could put up instructions and injectible antibiotics and my
sister could take him home and give him supportive care and if he did
not turn around within 24 hours, he would have to be euthanized .  The
decision was made that my sister would give this poor sweet guy a chance
to make it and she would supply the supportive care.  Furby was given an
injectible antibiotic before leaving.  My sister tried to hand feed him
which he did not really want, she subq'd him and followed the vets
instructions.  After making sure he was all set before she went to bed,
she set her alarm clock for 3 hours to get up and feed him.  She got up
just before the alarm clock went off and went to check on him and he had
already passed.  Her heart was broken as she really wanted this little
guy to pull through as we all did.  He was buried the next day in her
pet cemetery as Rainbow Bridge poem was read.

I do not know how she does it.  I could not.  Rose gives her all to
these ferrets and goes that step further.  She finds the time to take
care of all these kids, yet finds the time to make bedding to support the
ferrets also.  Her whole life seems to be ferrets.  It is very hard to
get her to leave the house for any length of time without her worrying.
She is getting tired, she has seen a lot and been through a lot.  Please
help support her by buying her bedding when you think about new bedding
or know someone who needs some.  She has also donated a lot of bedding
to the local shelters as well as others.  She can be found on ebay
www.stores.ebay.com/littlefeetferretretreatbedding

Eleanor