From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 10:36:59 -0500
In a post yesterday, one shelter ask how other shelters handled the influx
of ferrets with adrenal tumors.

For over 4 years we took in all ferrets and treated every medical problem
before we adopted them out.  Those with adrenal tumors were nearly always
"fostered" - adopted out with no donation asked.  Every year, of course, the
donations didn't come even close to covering even our vet bills, let alone
food, litter, etc., so we ended up paying out *thousands* of dollars from
our own pocket.

Last year, our vet bills ran over the $10,000 mark.  This year they hit
$10,000 well before the end of the third quarter of the year, and in spite
of generous donations, our unpaid shelter vet bill stands at over $1400.  So
many of the ferrets that were being dropped off had obvious adrenal tumors
that it became obvious we were becoming the ferret "welfare office." People
who had ferrets and didn't want to pay for their vet care, were "disposing"
of their responsibilities by transferring them to us.  I guess it soothed
their conscience.

We decided that we had to take some sort of drastic action or close down the
shelter completely.

Beginning in September we started to refuse ferrets with apparent adrenal
tumors, unless the people agreed in advance to pay for the surgery.  Believe
me it was a tough decision knowing that the ferret would unlikely get the
necessary vet care at the hands of the uncaring owners.  It was either that
or close the shelter completely and be able to help none of the ferrets.

With one  of the major shelters in NH closing, the burden on the remaining
two has been unbelievable.  Closing ours would very likely force the
remaining shelter to close its doors too;  so it became the tough choice of
either helping none, or only helping those whom we could help.  We chose the
latter.

The shelter operator who posted won't get any flames from me, nor should
they from anyone else who hasn't lived the situation.  The solution, of
course, would be for every pet owner to live up to the responsibilities that
they took on when they brought their pet into their lives.  Folks, believe
me this is not a perfect world we live in.  Until it is, we have to make
unpleasant compromises.

Dick B.