From:
"Lisa Leidig - The Ferret Haven \"By-the-Sea\"" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 11:23:32 -0500
As a fellow operator, I can only sympathize.  It seems that the surgeries
seem to be cyclical, going for months and months without them, then all of
the sudden, WHAM!  10 ferrets need surgery NOW.

I would say first to objectively look at all of the ferrets requiring
surgery and categorize them first into critical/noncritical.  Male ferrets I
would probably lump into the critical category, just because of the
possiblities of prostate/urinary problems that may occur because of the
tumor.  Once you have your critical/noncritical, I would then categorize
into the surgical candidates good/notsogood.  Then I would march down to
your vet of choice and lay it all down: These are the surgeries that I need
done, and ask for a discount -- nothing ventured, nothing gained.  He/She
may suprise you.  Try alternatives to surgery, like Lysodren, Lupron or
Flourinef.  Consider fostering/adopting them out to other families, with the
possibility of helping with part of the surgical bill.  You can ask the
adopters/fosters to have the surgery done at your vet of choice -- thereby
checking up on whether or not the surgery has been done.

As far as thinking that you are a horrible person, you are not.  Its obvious
from your post that you are worried about the welfare of the ferrets.  Its
one of the hardest things about being a shelter, except for euthanasia.  I
am lucky enough to have credit so that if the shelter's bills get to high, I
just pay them.  Not everyone is that lucky, I know.  Good luck to you and
your fuzzy babies, and please, write me privately and let me know how things
work out.  I am sending good thoughts your way......

Lisa