From:
Purple Cow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 14:20:05 -0400
With all this talk of feeding fuirt to your fuzzies I felt I had to share
my own little story about this.  Since it's summertime I've been buying
more fruit like grapes and watermelon.  My parents had a dog that used to
love eating grapes so one day I decided to try giving one to my boy Gabby.
He kind of sniffed at it but looked at me like the skin was too thick for
him.  So I peeled it open a bit with my nail.  He sniffed it some more and
licked it.  Then he gave me a look like it was the nastiest thing in the
world and he didn't want anymore to do with it.  So I gave up on him liking
fruit.  Not a big deal.  Well one day I went to let him out of his cage for
play time and to clean his cage and I saw that he had vomited.  He tried to
hide in his sleephouse/box but he was making such awful noises I took the
lid off and got him out.  He looked miserable and kept trying to run away
and hide from us.  He ran into the bedroom and tried to hide under the bed.
In the process of trying to catch him I found a chewed on grape lying on
the floor.  We finally got a hold of him and Mike took him in the bathroom
and took care of him while I cleaned up his cage.  He threw up a few more
times and then seemed to wear himself out.  We put him back in his cage and
he spent the rest of the night resting.  He had a bit of Nutrical at night
and in the morning and by the afternoon of the next day he was eating and
playing normally again.  We're not sure where he got the grape from.  It
could have been one that fell in the kitchen and rolled out of sight or he
might have smuggled it from my lunch bag.  Either way we're a lot more
careful with food and I don't think I'll try giving him any fruit again.

~Liz~
ICQ#24420186

http://members.home.net/purplecow/liz.html