From:
Purple Cow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 14:06:01 -0400
Hi all I've got a bunch of questions so I hope I can get some answeres.

First, a while back someone posted about their daily routine including
putting a cage cover over the ferrets' cage at night.  This sounds like a
good idea to me since I'm concerned about the links between exposure to
light and adrenal disease so I was interested in trying something like
this.  What kind of material do you use for the cage cover?  Does it cover
the entire cage like you would with a bird?  Does the cage get too warm
being covered up?  How long do you leave the cover on?  From the time the
sun sets till it rises?  Does it vary from day to day and season to season?
Do the ferrets mind being covered up or have they gotten used to not being
able to see out for certain times?

Second, I'm concerned about my ferret catching heartworms since we take
him for walks in the evening.  I've heard of people giving the Heartguard
feline tablets but I've also heard there's some other liquid medicine that
can be used.  What is this other medicine, is it taken orally or injected?
Which of these two medicines are most effective and what are approximate
costs on them?

I'm also interested in switching Gabby over to Bob C's gravy recipe but had
a few questions first.  From what I've read I'm not sure if it's acceptable
only as a treat or for sick ferrets or if it's appropriate as daily
nutrition.  About how long would one batch of this last one ferret and what
is the cost of it compared to a regular kibble food?

Last topic, my husband seems interest in adopting a playmate for Gabby so
of course I'm thrilled.  While it would most likely be a while before we
got another ferret I want to start looking around and getting information
now.  What shelters would you recommend in the Columbia, MD area?  What
sort of things do a shelter look for in adoptive parents and what should
we as parents look for when adopting?

Thanks for any information anyone can provide. : )

~Liz~
ICQ#24420186

http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/2469/liz.html