From:
Andrew Bienhaus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 11:42:23 -0400
A tear rolled down my cheek as I read about the tragic fire in Texas,
from yesterday's list.  My deep sympathies lie with the family and their
fuzzies. :-(

I WILL NOT get into the specifics of that tragic event, simply because
it's not my business, nor anyone else's, nor do I know anything about it.
Period.

I'd like however to touch on something that seems to be a regional thing:
Fire Prevention.

In Ontario (Canada), we have some pretty severe laws, regarding smoke
detectors and fire marshal inspections.  To the point where landlords are
now responsible for making sure that their are working smoke detectors on
all levels of rental properties.  So, it's not much of an issue here.

However, I have been to parts of the US, where this is unheard of, and
smoke detectors are "for the paranoid".

So, stop and think about it. And tell *everyone* you know about it.

Do you have a WORKING smoke detector on every level of your home?  (Or in
multiple areas for homes/apartments that are more spread out?)

Do you change the batteries twice a year?  (around here, they remind
people to do it when you're setting the clocks back or forward, for
daylight savings time)  Do you test your detector on a regular basis?

If you're balking... what is the price of a detector?  $15-$25... isn't
that worth it for the life of your family and fuzzies?  After all,
accidents do and will happen, to everyone.

If you're going to get some, do a few minutes of research.  Maybe check
consumer reports reviews.  Make sure you get ones that are loud enough to
wake the dead (check decibel "db" ratings).  You should be able to hear it
awake or asleep, even in the shower, in any part of the house.  It's not a
crime to disturb neighbours either... better they know that something is
up, and can help. :)

I'm not sure if you can get them in your area... but the ones in my house
all go off together, if one single one detects smoke... which is even
better.  And then, it signals the alarm company as well... in case I am
not home.

Sermon mode off... and not intended. If you're looked after already --
fantastic. If not...

Good luck... and go check those detectors right now.

Andrew
along with Jazzy, Johnny, Angel and Sasha.
Binbrook, Ontario, Canada