Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:12:32 -0500
>I can not understand why some people in the warmer parts of say the
>USA say that ferrets have to be housed indoors due to the fact that
>they can not cope with the outdoor temperatures in winter.

I'm guessing there are several reasons for this. Europe historically
views the ferret as a working animal. Americans, seem to view the
ferret more as a house pet throughout our past. I realize that the
Britts also view them as house pets as well, but what I'm saying is
that just like dogs and horses, you also recognize that they have their
place as a working animal. We've not utilized the ferret that way
nearly as much. It's actually a part of your heritage (hunting with
them), is it not?

Because most Americans have not had the privilege to see these animals
living outdoors living up to their top hunting and athletic potential,
they are just unfamiliar with it all. I think for the most part, you
need to understand that Americans baby all pets. I mean there is
probably nothing that we haven't tried to make a sort of house pet.
Including horses! We humanize them so much.

Your animals are acclimated to outdoors. Ours are not. And if an animal
has not been raised in the outdoors, you cannot just put them outside
and think that they won't be horrendously uncomfortable or susceptible
to the dangers of hypothermia (under coats are not full enough from
indoor living). So, our ferrets, truly could not just go outdoors in
those temperatures. I don't think. Someone please jump in to explain
this further and to correct me if I am wrong.

Now how is it that we ever began to think that these "winter animals"
as I like to call them (because they cannot tolerate the heat) should
have remained indoors all of this time. We'll it's easy. They prefer to
curl up in big thick blankets despite what the temperature is, even if
it's too hot. Also when the animal isn't used to the chill, he shivers
badly. Most of our ferrets, if you shoe them outside during fall and
winter, will spin around and jump into our arms or head for the front
door of the house after a while with bright red noses from the cold. We
look at these things as evidence that they would not do well out in
the cold (and given that they are never outside in the cold here, that
conclusion would be correct).

My ferrets live downstairs where I keep it at about 65 or cooler year
round. Many ferret owners raise an eyebrow when they feel the temp
down there. But my ferrets were raised in it. They are used to it and
enjoy it. Their fur has also adapted to those temps. I myself, wonder
about the animals outdoors in temps cold enough for snow. But I also
recognize that these are indeed winter like animals. So I try to run
a compromise by keeping them really cool. I personally feel like any
animal can get too cold. Oh I forgot, another thing that fuels the
American view on this is that these animals are domesticated. Like
the dog and cat. And they don't do as well outside as they do indoors
because of it. This is true with most/any domesticated animal I
believe.

I don't know that either lifestyle is wrong, per say. I think extremes
are wrong. I think living outside at 0 degrees c without complete
shelter, tons of straw and blankets out of the elements is not right. I
also think that living indoors at 80 degrees without ever being exposed
to a natural rythym of light or unfiltered natural light through out
their life is wrong.

I think the ferrets needs are very complex. To keep a domesticated
animal as if it were wild is not giving it all that it deserves. And
to keep this animal that is clearly more comfortable in cooler/colder
weather and that needs the right ration of light and dark in a dark
basement or a house lit up all day and most of the night kept at hot
temperatures is not meeting all it's needs either. Lastly, all living
creatures need the outside. Us included. They all need to feel the
grass between their toes, the dirt under their nails and the sun on
their backs.