From:
MR CHARLES R ONKEN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 09:51:57 -0500
Cujo the Wonder Ferret is still alive and acting goofy as ever.  For those
new to the list, Cujo has had three bladder surgeries for blockage, has had
his "plumbing" re-routed so he now pees like a girl, had a cyst drainage
operation, has had left adrenal removed and right debulked, and has had his
bladder needle aspirated more times than I care to count.  This all started
two years ago when I noticed one Sunday morning that he was in and out of
the litter box but nothing was happening.  Bladder surgeries, aspirations,
and finally the plumbing re-route solved that.  However, he also has a cyst
on his prostate that can become enlarged and cause urinary blockage.  The
last time was on a Thursday and following Saturday back in January.  When
we had to have him aspirated twice in three days, I said to the vet, "We
all know Cujo's time is limited.  Neither we nor Cujo can do this every
other day.  Is this his time?"  The vet said, "Let's just drain him again,
and see how it goes from there."  Thank God for her

Cujo has been fine since.  I think I scared him!!

Being "fine" for Cujo means that he hasn't been back to the vet since.
He is on Orbax (antibiotic), prednisone, Eulexin (human cancer drug),
Lysodren, and Proscar (human prostate drug).  It's a wonder he doesn't glow
in the dark.  I have to wear latex gloves to mix his medicine, and to give
it to him.  When he is out and playing, or gets excited, he "oozes" from
his urinary opening.  This is from the cyst.  Gross as it may sound, I love
to see this.  It means that the cyst is draining on its own and won't cause
another urinary blockage.

As a result of all his maladies and the various medicines, Cujo has hair
on his head and shoulders and on his legs and feet.  His body and tail are
bare, except for a little fuzz on his belly.  He has been that way for a
year.  Compared to a full-fuzzed ferret, he looks bad.  But to us HE IS THE
MOST BEAUTIFUL FERRET IN THE WORLD.  We have poured love and money into
Cujo, and he repays us with kisses.

He repays us by jumping in the air with all four feet off the ground.  He
repays us by doing all the goofy things a ferret does.  And, while he is
jumping and running and being goofy, if you hit the mute on the TV, he
repays us with the sweetest giggling dooks while he is doing it.  After all
he has been through and all the medicine we put into him every day, he acts
as if he has never been sick a day in his life.  Cujo could teach people a
lot about being happy and living life, no matter what happens to you.  Did
I mention...WE LOVE HIM.  How long DOES Cujo have left?  Who knows?  I've
thought he was going to leave us many times.  Each time he has bounced
back.  That's why I call him the Wonder Ferret.  Every day with him still
with us is a Wonder, and a gift.

We have been making our four a mixture of ferret food and some boiled
chicken for over a year now.  We needed it when Cujo has had surgeries.
All four of ours get an ice cube of it nuked warm every night.  Our version
was mostly ferret food, chicken baby food, and two boiled chicken legs
(without the bones).  Last week-end, I made the Bob Church version.
Luckily, we have two old hand grinders, the type that clamp to a table or
counter top.  So, this time, their "goo" was made from an entire chicken
and the ingredients in Bob's recipe.  Sure was fun getting those bones
through the grinder!!  We cooked it before we blended it.  Cujo and
Snowball needed a couple of licks from our fingers before they decided
that it was edible.  Bandit and Valentine just inhaled it.  Good job Bob.

Charlie, Ag, Donna, Cujo, Bandit, Snowball, Valentine
in Kissimmee