From:
Georgette Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 12:54:45 -0400
Howdy all!  First, a big thank you to all of you who offered suggestions
and support in reference to my problem.  It's great having such a wonderful
resource of people like this!!

Quick recap: Moved in with my boyfriend and his roommate Peter on the first
of August.  We were there for a week then went away on holidays for one
week, leaving the three ferrets at my friend, Judith's, place.  When we
came back, Peter told us that it smelled sooooo bad in the house, that he
couldn't eat inside.  The litterbox was making the whole downstairs smell
like urine.  I had been watching them religiously because after 6 years, I
know what to watch out for.  They had had two mistakes the first week, but
the spot had been disinfected and cleaned (hardwood floors) three times
since then to be sure.  I spent almost a full day cleaning and he still
said it was terrible.  No one else, including Jasper and I "looking" for
the smell could notice the ferrets until we were about five feet from the
cage.  We tried a whole whack of stuff, I cleaned until I thought I would
pass out and he still complained.  I bought some 100% natural for pets
product from a woman here in Toronto - which work *really* well, I might
add (e-mail me if you want more info) and still "It stinks".  No decent
suggestions on his part of course, just complaining.  I've been trying
very hard to keep the peace and I ***KNOW*** that if the roles were reverse
he would NOT make this kind of effort for me!!!  Twit!

So anyways, this weekend we moved the ferrets into the little pantry room
that is off of our bedroom.  We had to do some ferret-proofing and
re-arranging but actually now that we've moved the bed around, etc - there's
more room.  We got a new dresser too from Ikea - Jasper was having trouble
getting his sock/underwear drawer to close and I had wanted to get something
larger than the three drawer unit I currently had anyways.  Couldn't have
the ferrets stealing all of Daddio's socks, etc!!  The bedroom looks great,
the ferrets love it and so far the biggest smell problem we've come across
so far is the bag of food!!!  I plan on getting a big Rubbermaid unit that
has a tight-fitting lid to combat that problem.

Both Jasper and I are at the point now (since we are still holding onto
that ace card about Peter's smoking) that if he still complains after this,
well just too darn bad buddy - deal with it, or move out!!  We've done
everything we can - much more effort than Peter deserves - and he has to
make some compromises too - like actually pitching in and doing housework
once in awhile!!  This guy who complains he doesn't have enough money to
move out, owns a computer with TONS of computer games (mostly bought in
this last year before I moved in and started saving him $200+ a month in
rent) as well as four LARGE aquariums filled with rare fish as well as
newts and frogs.  He also suggested to Jasper shortly after he moved in
last August that they hire a maid to come in once a month to clean!!!  Yeah
right!  Also, if he's sooooooooooooooo sensitive to the smell of urine,
Jasper said, why has he only cleaned the bathroom/toilet once in the last
year????????  Ahem!!!  I figure that the next time the toidy starts to look
like it's due for a scrub, I'll politely ask him to do it!

Anyways, all is well as far as our side is concerned.  Peter did seem to be
in a better mood yesterday - had ate at home at least once this weekend.
Didn't wash his dishes though, of course.  Boy - am I catty or what??!
We'll see - if we get anymore complaints, we'll start complaining back
about his cigarette smoke.  Oh, Jasper figures he'll be gone within the
next six months, if that.  He is doing an apprenticeship to be a chef and
doesn't like the place he's working for right now.  Once he's finished,
he'll start looking elsewhere for work - including out of town - so we
don't think he'll stay too much longer that he has to.

Unfortunately, Jasper is out of town this week for work stuff until at
least Wednesday, so I'm stuck at home by myself with TwitBoy.  I've got
tons to keep me busy this week, plus I have a TV and stereo in the bedroom
if I don't feel like dealing with him at all.  I don't think there will be
any problems and if there are, I'll just tell him that he will have to wait
until Jasper gets home so we can all discuss it.  I'll keep you all posted.
Thanks again everyone!  Take care and hugs to all!  oxoxo

George, Jasper and the Tribe

Georgette Peters                          Nothing is ferret-proof to a
Steacie Science Library                   sufficiently talented ferret.
York University
4700 Keele Street                                     *****
North York, Ontario                                 *********
M3J 1P3                                               *****
(416)736-5084
                                             Dook, dook, bjork, bjork!
e-mail - [log in to unmask]                        - Swedish Ferret