From:
Elisa Mohn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:36:41 -0400
Hello there all!  I am a 2 year member - but I have been quitely lurking
for the last year.

I have 2 ferrets, Fuzzit (female - bought at pet store - Path Valley Farms
ferret - about 1.5 years old) and Tubby (male - rescued about 1.25 years
ago - Marshal Farms ferret - guesstimated 2.5 - 3 years old).

Anyway, my deal is that I just got my ferrets back after not having htem
for a year in the begining of summer (long but wonderful story) and then I
moved to my parents house for the summer.  At my parents house my ferrets
were only allowed out of their cages when I was home (I was working 2-
36hour a week jobs) and only in a mid-sized bathroom.  Now I'm back in
gainesville and in my own huge apartment where they are allowed out for
at least 4 - 6+ hours a day in a big room.

However, they still seem really abnormal compared to the stories that I
am used to here on the FML.  They are not very vocal at all, they do not
play with their toys all that much (except when I do the ball on a string
activity with them), they still seem rather lethargic and disinterest in
anything but destroying my carpets and underneath my sofa.  They are very
attentive to me (they follow me around, come when they are called, seek
my attention, show curiousity).  Fuzzit is also having problems getting to
any of thier many litterboxes.  And they both (compared to pictures that I
have seen of other ferrets on the internet) seem pretty thin!  I'm a tad
horrified about the damages that they will end up causing to the apartment
and my property.  And I am totally upset because it just seems as if they
are unhappy (comparatively)!  Anyone?  Suggestions about how to stop the
destruction?

I have tried to put toys in their cage for their entertainment - but Tubby
always discarts them into the litterbox!  It's almost as if they hate toys!
The only thing that they seem to do besides destroy things is wrestle one
another!

I feed them Totally Ferret, give them Ferretone, Nutrical, small amounts
of crasins and even on occassion a small taste of fruit.  They also have
adaquate water supply.  They are up to date with their vet visits.  I give
them lots of attention and talk to them often - I just do not understand....
am I doing something wrong here?  Can anyone suggest anything or offer me
words of advice?

-Elisa