From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2008 03:03:53 -0500
I forgot to say that although I went and purchased an animal once (I've
had 27 ferrets since 1976, and only one was purchased, the rest were
animals unwanted/abandoned by owners), those people who are interested
in getting a ferret should remember that these are not only currently
illegal here in CA, they are (like everywhere else in the US and
possibly in other countries) tremendously prone to illnesses. The
ferret I purchased in Arizona was a locally bred animal. I hoped, but
did not really believe that a non Marshall Farms would really guarantee
a healthy ferret, and I was right. At 4 years of age Fos-- r , (name
withheld to protect his reputation), developed adrenal disease. He's
had ultrasound and surgery at age 4, and is on lupron. My veterinarian
is good enough to give me a discount, since the last 5 ferrets I have
taken in are those she had "relinquished" to her by owners who for
various reasons could no longer take care of them. Of those (and two
prior animals I took in from other rescuers), out of the 7, 6 have had
surgeries - range $750- to $1000 depending on degree of difficulty
(removal of adrenal, pancreatic tumors or both). totalling approx
$5,000. Five are on lupron (4month depot, $235 a pop for each of 4
currently = $800 app every four months). One ferret who subsequently
died had an ultrasound in the months prior to death ($350) and Fos--r
had one recently because he showed signs of lethargy. Turned out he was
late on his lupron shot - mistake on "reminders" list at the vet. I
think Fos--r gets an award "gold brick ferret?" Bless his heart, he
also has the knack of lying on his back and looking up soulfully until
you give him a treat, climbs into drawers, opens cupboards, and has
playful screaming fights in my bedroom at 2.30am with his best bud.

I am VERY lucky to be able to afford these kinds of bills. Most people
either cannot or just are not prepared for this. A friend of mine has
been extremely lucky, with two ferrets in 15 years (the only two she
took in) only one of which had surgery, at the usual price, and it died
at ten. Her other animal is still alive and has not been sick in 6
years. This is the exception to the rule. She may still get socked
with a big bill- and she's on a fixed income.

So, although California vets do not take advantage of the fact that
ferrets are illegal, they do charge the regular surgery prices - I
usually get a 5% discount since the animals I take in are always
"rescues" except for his majesty Fos--r. Another had surgery this
year when his estimated age was 2. His owners gave him up because his
companion had died after surgery (adrenal disease) and they saw his
tail getting bald (sign of adrenal disease). Their excuse however (and
it might have been true), was that their daughter who was the owner
was leaving to go to school and they did not have the time for him.

Ferret ownership, whether in a legal or illegal state is not something
to be taken on lightly. First have funds, or have a late husband who
saved wisely. He probably thought of the ferrets as well my well being,
since his eyes rolled every time the Mastercard bill came in. But he
never complained. He loved the ferrets. They are an expensive pet
with a fairly short life span whether legal or illegal. THINK before
adopting. I would not advocate driving out to buy one. If you are bound
and determined to get one, adopt an abandoned animal, and be prepared
for big vet bills.

Aslo, help with education of the public, by supporting CDFEA -
California Domestic Ferret Educational Alliance - CDFEA is a 501(c)3
non profit corporation dedicated to education. Your donations are tax
deductible

This organization does not lobby for legalization, but is attempting
the education of the public in all states about ferrets, and this may
help future attempts at legalization.

Ferrets Anonymous is also a non profit organization in California
promoting understanding of ferrets and can be found at
http://www.ferretsanonymous.org/
(new issue - and see newsletter The Pawprint)

FerretLover in CA
[MM]