From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2008 18:07:53 -0500
Melanie, a kind FHL member posted a Snopes link about the poisonings
from raisins and grapes, with two MARVELOUS attached links that Barbara
and her people at Snopes found.

Here is the link that Melanie found:
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

which is a good read (and more can be found in a past issue of Ferrets
magazine specifically of ferrets with acute renal failure from grapes
or raisins, the ASPCA Poison Control Center, and in FML Archives and
FHL Archives)

And below are the links which the Snopes people found, and some quoting
from one which taught me about two common foods (broccoli and macademia
nut kernals) that I had not known had caused poisonings. I love it when
people lead others and me to new information and go out of their way to
be so kind to others. Many thanks to Melanie and to the folks at
Snopes!

<http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/StoryTemplate_Process.cfm?specie=Dogs&story_no=257>

mentions a range of humans foods that have poisoned pets and gives
details for some. Remember that pet types may vary. The list includes:

QUOTING
Other potential dangers
Pear pips, the kernels of plums, peaches and apricots, apple core pips
(contain cyanogenic glycosides resulting in cyanide posioning)
Potato peelings and green looking potatoes
Rhubarb leaves
Mouldy/spoiled foods
Alcohol
Yeast dough
Coffee grounds, beans & tea (caffeine)
Hops (used in home brewing)
Tomato leaves & stems (green parts)
Broccoli (in large amounts)
Raisins and grapes
Cigarettes, tobacco, cigars

and

Chocolate toxicity
Onion and garlic poisoning
The danger of macadamia nuts
Other potential dangers
Related Products
END QUOTES

Also the article:

http://www.thepetcenter.com/wai/poi_PP.html

on common items that poison pets and links to more.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: