Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 10:28:26 -0500
Hey there,

I adopted two malnourished and unspoiled fuzzies who came with a large
mid-west type cage, but one made for birds.  That is, looks the same but it
didn't have the shelves.  It's about 4' tall, 3' wide and 2' deep.  When I
got it, all the two fuz-butts had in it was a big, covered cat litterbox, a
blanket, and a tiny hammock hanging from the roof!  The fuzzies would climb
up the vertical wall of the cage to get into the hammock, and then exit by
dropping the 2+ feet to the top of the litter box.

Anyway, I'm cheap, so here are some things I did to fill the space.

I made two more large hammocks to serve as shelves, tiers, sleeping space,
etc.  I took two old pillowcases and put a small rock (or balled up napkin)
in each corner.  Tie rope around rock, tie to cage side.  Voila.  In one
pillowcase I stuck a section of the sunday paper, to make the hammock a
little more sturdy. The other hammock I hung at an angle, and they use it
as a slide to the blanket on the floor.  Take rocks out to wash.

I also tied a shoebox with holes cut in it to the side of the cage as
another perch/hideyhole.  (Fortunately none of my fuz-butts are
rope-chewers.)

Then I got real crazy and rolled up a 2' section of carpet scrap and hung it
in the center of the cage.  They LOVE this.

To Charleen,
is the ramp made of cageing?  Maybe your ferret doesn't like the feel of
the metal on his/her feet. Try covering it with an old towel, rag or rug.

Just my .01  (Cheap.)  :)

Kristine

Phoebe (I love the rug tube & slide.)
Loki (I'm sleeping now, don't bother me unless you have a Cheerio.)
Slink & Scamper, gone to the Rainbow Bridge.