Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 13:23:55 -0800
FML REaders--

Hope all who celebrate have enjoyed their holidays.  Here we continue with
some new additions to the shelter Neko (8mo.  siamese)male and NoMar (1 yr
choc mitt) female were admitted just prior to the holidays-- both are in
remarabley great shape-- except they have a major hairball problem.  So
they journey Tues AM to Dr. George for barium x-ray and exam-- perhaps
surgery---

Two shelter directors attended a state federation meeting on Dec 16th.
Ferret Wise contributed to the NH Fedarationof Humane Org. Spay Neuter
fund-- which is dedicated to cats and dogs ( only).  We want to establish
with the state humane group that we are here to help all animals -- though
we shelter and rehabilitate only ferrets.

Witty and Skittles arrived severely malnourished -- they are making some
good progress though they apparently have accumulated some obstruction
( most probable hairballs) as well.  We are taking things slower as these
two need to regain strength-- but they get daily hairball remedy in the
hopes that it will clear up the problem without the risks of surgery.

Munchkin - had a close call with her kidnety disease -- but is doing well
after several days of sub-q flushes-- she even was seen chomping on dry
food in addition to her soup recipe! We hope her progress continues...

Bandit has her surgery date set for Thurs AM with Dr. Karen -- so she can
start her New Year and new adopted life minus a verified hairball
obstruction....

PLEASE USE A FELINE HAIRBALL REMEDY for your ferrets-- that's what the
shelter folks here want to STRESS!!!!

Of course we have scads of other older and behaviorally challenged kids who
are hairball free-- BUT they recieve petromalt on a regular basis....

The pohone was relatively quiet over the holiday which afforded shelter
Mom & Dad to actually sit long enough to have a pot luck dinner and watch a
movie!  This was a first ever!

The shelter kids would like to extend a BIG thanks to Aunt Linda and Uncle
Jeff-- who sent a bag of food, and ferret toys for the holiday!

Also Missy & Lulu received a gift pack from Grandma Pat-- and are sharing
them with the other kids too!  Grandma Pat will be receiving some photos of
the gals with their packages shortly!

Ewok has returned home to Ferret Wise... after a misadventure with the
crematorium-- we believe we have our gentleboy back and he is once again in
the shelter rooms-- looking over his "kids".  (We know in spirit he never
left anyways).

In the education arena- Plans are progressing for Ferret Care seminars in
the shelter class area.  -- Ferret Wise hopes to have all the materials
necessary to start in February.  Those who attend will receive basic ferret
care certification-- and the local humane societies will require this
certification with their ferret adoption placements.

I guess that's it other than the day to day care of those here.  The
hospice kids are doing great -- shelter Mom sent some petromalt and sleep
sacks, hammies etc.  to each home for the holidays... and got to vidsit
several over the holidays!

The shelter newsletter was finially finished and should have been recieved
by subscribers this past week---  Ewok's final Ewok Talks column is in this
issue!  Let us know if you didn't get this issue!

Take care-- wishes for a wonderful New Year to you all....

On behalf of Ferret Wise

alicia

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~crassi/index.html