From:
Candice Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 11:18:40 EST
Heather wrote
>on this list all I hear about is their ferrets with diseases and how many
>have died and how they have to have surgery.  Is that just how the list is
>coming across or do ferrets really get ill like that all of the time and
>you have to take them to the vet for 300-1000 dollars???  I really really
>do want one, but if they get sick all the time as it seems with tumors and
>green slime then I don't think I will be able to afford the surgery bills.

Heather, I admire you for researching these animals before adopting one.
They can, indeed, be expensive.  Most of the severe health problems
(usually) develop after the 3rd year.  If you get a youngster and put a
dollar a day in a savings account just for ferret medical bills, in 3
years you would have $1095.00 saved.  If you gave up a can or two of pop
or one latte a day, I bet you could do it.  You sound like a very
responsible person.

Please consider what you will do after High School though.  Will you be
going to college?  Will you be able to take your ferret with you?  If you
get married, what will you do if your spouse doesn't like the ferret?
What if you have children, as you might in the next 10 years of the
ferret's life.  Who will take care of it if you travel?  These are all
very important considerations, and not easy to answer, unless you are
willing to make your ferret a priority in all your decisions.  It's a big
commitment if you take it seriously.  I think you will make a good
decision though, whatever you do.

cb